Week 7: Reflection
If you were in Texas last week for the blizzard, how were you impacted? Given that emergencies like this are likely to occur while you work on your dissertation (e.g., COVID and blizzard in a year, parents become ill, you become ill), do you have a plan for how to get past it? Are you OK if you cannot meet your current planned timeline and have to graduate a semester or two late? Consider the unexpected this week, because we all face things during a dissertation that are challenging.
Reflect on where you are in the process. What do you have done, what do you have left to do, and what are you struggling with right now, if anything?
My family was impacted with no electricity from Monday morning 5am is when we noticed and a pipe burst as a fun surprise later that week. Things were restored to somewhat normal on Friday afternoon, and we went back to campus on the following Monday to assess the damage and students came back Tuesday. My parents and my husbands parents were also without electricity for this time and so we were stuck at home with toddlers and nowhere out of our safe COVID circle to go. It was rough. One of the worst thing was our district wanted to continue creating async assignment for our students that just turned in to a mess because they did not have electricity either and without internet I was trying to do this on my phone and then this past week it was horrible trying to get all those assignments in and still move forward while trying to get al grades in by last Friday for the end of their grading period. At the moment my husband are trying to figure things out to be prepared for hurricane season coming up this summer but it requires us saving some money. We are hoping to get a generator to at least have electricity running. I need to save my documents to sync on my desktop so that they are saved and I can work on them even when we do not have electricity. That way I can continue to work but the problem would be submitting.
Right now I am struggling to get over that freeze in my work and school, because my time is scheduled out and losing a week throws me off so being more flexible in my time management needs to be something I work on.
I have a planned time line to graduate by December 2022 which I think gives me some leniency. Submitting my portfolio this summer since I am still working on completing some of the requirements of that. This semester I am working on getting on parts of my dissertation proposal outlines that I can continue to work on this summer and into Fall of 2021 and hopefully complete that in that semester. I want complete my research over Spring of 2022 analyze it in the Summer of 2022 and complete by findings and defend my dissertation in the Fall of 2022. If I need to go into 2023 then I must but that is actually the end of the road for me so I need to stay focused.
Comments
Post a Comment