Week 3: Reflection
Think about how well you feel your research study will contribute to the field of learning technologies and how reasonable it is to complete it within a calendar year.
If I continue to pursue the link between librarians and their roles or influence in the integration of technology to enhance the campus and even district curriculum I think that this research could contribute a good deal to the field of learning technologies. When I was going through my masters degree in information science there was a fear that there would not be a job for me once I finished. There were so may campuses no longer employing librarians or situations where only one librarian would be hired for several schools and a library assistant would run the day to day at the campus level. That continues to be true for most charters schools in our area. The idea of librarian started to become obsolete because people continued to link their identity and responsibilities so much to solely the keeper of the books which with technology becoming more and more prevalent the books start to become less apparent in the students' school instruction. I just told myself that if I could stay relevant and necessary then there would always be a position for me. The job a of a librarian has changed so drastically in the last couple years but just like when they purchased book for the collection that were meant to support curriculum they continue to do that with digital collections of e-books, audio books, and databases. Their expertise also began to include the knowledge of digital tools, for most campuses the librarian is the go to person when it comes to setting up teacher technology, offering professional development on the integration of technology, and also providing resources and suggestions on the acquisition of new technology.
It would be reasonable to complete the research in a year. This summer I can work on focusing on how I want to go about the research and have most of my literature review compelte. I would think to do a survey or observation and interview with teachers to see how much they are influenced by the work of a librarian professional development and assistance in the integration of technology. Since I have access to librarians and teachers within the district I could use that population for my research. Every year I offer a monthly technology professional development focusing on technology that is already available by the districts as well as any technology that teachers are interested in. This research would address the current challenges and opportunities related to the influence of the librarian when it comes to offering assistance in not only implementing and supporting current technology but in recommending the purchase or adaption of new technologies. The first semester of the 2021-2022 school year would be my time to conduct the research and the second semester woudl be to but my findings down on paper.
Comments
Post a Comment